『ザ・ローズ』が生まれた時

 How “The Rose” Came To Be

『ザ・ローズ』が生まれた時


不世出の歌手、ジャニスジョプリン女史をモデルにした映画『ザ・ローズ』

その主題歌もまた、色褪せない名曲です。

作曲者本人が、その誕生について語っています。


アマンダ・マクブルーム

Amanda McBroom


People often ask me what inspired me to write The Rose. Here is the story:

「ザ・ローズ」を書いた時にどんなインスピレーションがあったのか、とよく聞かれます。こういうお話です。



I was driving down the freeway one afternoon, some time in 1970-something.

 私は高速道路を走っていた。ある日の午後だ。1970年とか、そのあたりです。


I was listening to the radio. A song came on the radio. It was “MAGDALENA” by Danny O’Keefe, sung by Leo Sayer. I liked it immediately. My favorite line was “Your love is like a razor. My heart is just a scar.”I thought,”Ooh, I love that lyric.”

 ラジオを聴いていた。曲がかかっていた。ダニー・オキーフさんの「マグダレナ」という曲で、歌はレオ・セイヤーさん。私はすぐに好きになった。一番良かったのは「君の愛はまるで刃物だ。僕の心臓はただの傷跡だ」

 私は思った「ああ、この歌詞が好きになったなあ」


As I continued to drive down the road the thought came, I don’t agree with the sentiment. I don’t think love is like a razor. (I was younger then.) What, then, do I think love is? Suddenly, it was as if someone had opened a window in the top of my head. Words came pouring in. I had to keep reciting them to myself as I drove faster and faster towards home, so I wouldn’t forget them. I screeched into my drive way, ran into the house, past various bewildered dogs and cats and husbands, and sat down at the piano. Ten minutes later, THE ROSE was there.

 走り続けるうちに、考えがうかんだ「その感じ方には同意しない」

 私には、愛が刃物のようなものだとは思えなかった(当時はもっと若かったのだ)なら何だ、愛とは何だと思う?

 とつぜん、それはまるで、誰かがそこにある窓を私の頭のてっぺんで開いたような感じだった。言葉が流れ込んできた。私はその言葉を脳内で繰り返し唱え、家に向かってスピードを上げ続けて、それで忘れずにすんだ。音を落とすこともせずに敷地に入り、走って家に入り、困惑する犬たちと猫たち、そして夫をも放っておいて、ピアノに座った。

 十分後に『ザ・ローズ』がそこにあった。


I called my husband, George, into the room and played it for him, as I always did with my new songs. He listened, and quietly said to me, “You’ve just written a standard.” I protested that no one but my pals would ever hear it. (This is long before I had ever recorded anything.) He said,”Mark my words, something is going to happen with this song.”

 私は夫を呼んだ。ジョージだ。部屋に入ってもらい歌を聴いてもらった。新曲ができるといつもそうしていたのだ。彼は聴き終わると私に向かって静かな口調で「今まさに、スタンダードを書いたんだね」

 私は反論した。誰も、友達でさえも聴いたことがないのに(レコーディングなど、ずっと先だった頃の話です)彼は言った「僕の言葉を忘れないように。何かがこの歌とともに起こりつつあるんだ」


A year or so later, a great young songwriter named Michele Brourman, who became my primary musical collaborator and best friend, said “Listen. There is this movie coming out called “The Rose”. They are looking for a title tune. Do you want me to submit this to them?” I had never really tried to submit this song to anyone. I didn’t consider myself a song writer at the time. So I said, “Sure.” Originally the film had been called THE PEARL, which was Janis Joplin’s nick name. But her family refused permission to use that name. Lucky for me. “Pearl” is MUCH harder to rhyme.

 一年かもう少しあとだったか、ミシェル・ブロウマンという若く素晴らしい作曲家が、私の音楽においての一番の相方であり、無二の親友となっていた。その時に彼女が言った「聞いてよ。これは『ザ・ローズ』という、こんど出る映画よ。主題歌を探しているって。私が申し込んでみるのはどう?」

 私はこの曲を、誰かに本気で差し出そうとしたことが一度もなかった。私は当時、自分のことを作曲家だとは思っていなかったのだ。なのでこう言った「了解」

 もともとその映画は、ザ・パール、と呼ばれていた。ジャニス・ジョプリンのニックネームである。しかし彼女の親族がその名前の使用許可を拒んでいた。私にはラッキーなことだった。「パール」では音韻が、かなり、難しくなるからだ。


She submitted the tune to the producers, who HATED it. They thought it was dull and a hymn and NOT rock and roll and totally wrong. They put it in the reject box. But the divine Paul Rothchild, who was the music supervisor on the film, and had been Janis Joplin’s producer, hauled it out and asked them to reconsider. They again said no. So he mailed it to Bette. She liked it, and that’s how it got into the film and changed my life forever.

 彼女がその楽曲をプロデューサー側の人々に届けてくれたが、彼等はそれを、嫌った。彼等はこう考えていた。刺さってこない。讃美歌である。ロックンロール、では、ない。そして、全体としては、何か違う。彼らはそれを落選箱に入れた。

 しかし神はおられた。ポール・ロスチャイルド氏である。彼はその映画の音楽監督であり、かつてはジャニス・ジョプリンのプロデューサーだった。彼はその曲を見つけ出し、彼らに考え直すよう求めてくれた。彼らは再度ノーと言った。

 それで彼はベットに手紙を書いた。彼女は曲を好きになってくれた。こうしてその曲は映画に登場することになり、私の人生を永遠に変えることになったのだ。


 こんなに短い時間で楽曲を書いたことは他にはなかった。私は窓で、その窓がちょうど空けられていたところに、それらの思考がそこから入ってくることを必要としていたのだ。こう考えるといつもうれしくなる。

 私はいつまでもありがたく思う。

 ベットに。

 ポール・ロスチャイルドに。

 ビル・カービーに。彼は脚本を書いてくれた。

 友達に。私のために、最初に曲を送ってくれた。

 そして宇宙というものに。いちばんに私に話しかけてくれたことに、そして私が本当に信じているものが何なのかを、見せてくれたことに。


I have never written another song as quickly. I like to think I was the window that happened to be open when those thoughts needed to come through. I am eternally grateful… to Bette… to Paul Rothchild… to Bill Kerby, who wrote the screenplay…to my friend who first submitted it for me… and to the Universe for speaking to me in the first place and for showing me what I truly believe.


公式ページ


お読みくださり、ありがとうございました🙇

(その他翻訳、目次へ)


ブログトップへ


(訳詞ページへ)



コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

「ムジナの話」ラフカディオ・ハーン(小泉八雲)

英文和訳「連合艦隊解散の辞」

イザベラバードの新潟